Monday, February 18, 2008

Christians are still human, unfortunately.

I think many people expect Christians to do no wrong. I'm not sure exactly why this is. I think one factor is that it seems so many Christians are quick to judge others. I know when someone judges me, I am extremely shocked if they end up doing something wrong. Even if it's unrelated. You're being a hypocrite. Just like in Matthew 7:3(NIV) where Jesus tells us not to look at a speck of sawdust in someone else's eye while ignoring the plank in our own eye.
I have to remind my husband of this all the time. He is getting better about it, but he seems to think he is on a higher level than me. We all, as individuals, have areas where we excel and we all have areas where we are inferior. We need to remember this. Especially before we point out someone else's failings.
Prime example in my life: I am a HORRIBLE housekeeper. I am unorganized, I see clutter and get overwhelmed and frustrated so I just walk away from it instead of cleaning it up. Because of this, many people perceive me as being lazy. Maybe I am, I'm not sure, but there could be other things I do wrong. Some people come in my house and can't get over how lazy I am because my house looks so much worse than theirs. Their houses may be clean, but they are hiding dead bodies in the basement. Or, they may be the most selfish, self-centered person in the world. Now, I'm not saying those things are any worse than my disorganization/laziness, what I'm saying is, don't look at my faults and think you are so much better than me. Before you start to think that, take a moment to reflect on your own faults and figure out how you can improve yourself.
Okay, it seems I'm experiencing a bit of writer's block. It may be because I have limited myself by the title, "My Christian Journey." I think I am going to change this so I don't feel forced to write about things pertaining to Christianity or religion.

No comments: